The food pyramid gives us a basic model to follow, to make sure our diet is made up of the right foods to provide us with the nutrition we need to live healthily.
- Treats such as chocolate, fast food, biscuits, sweets and cakes should be eaten rarely, once a day at most.
- No more than 2 servings a day of meat, fish, poultry and alternatives.
- Around 3 servings of dairy produce such as milk, cheese and yoghurt (choose low fat varieties if dieting)
- At least 5 portions of fruit, vegetables and salad. These can be fresh, or dried, tinned, frozen or juice.
- 6 or more times daily, bread, potatoes and cereals make up the bulk of a healthy diet.